Pass It On Network News
- New Country Liaisons from Australia (Nan Bosler), New Zealand (Meg Evans) and Ireland (Marie Carroll). View
- Life on Purpose! Introducing Carol Fleischman, Membership Leader. View
- New Country Liaison from Mauritius, Sivalingum Subramanien
- On the Move with advice from a Kitchen Cabinet, Redstring internet platform, and two new volunteer team leaders (Carol Gorelick & Carol Fleischman)
- New Country Liaisons: Ana Krajnc, Slovenia; Njuakom Nchii Francis, Cameroon
- Pass It On Liaison Lynda Smith is leading development of Healthy Aging Society of Africa, HASOA, based in South Africa
- New Liaison from Hawaii, Cullen Hayashida.
- Meeting of Dori Mintzer, Revolutionize Retirement, and Silvia Crom, Pass It On’s Liaison for Argentina, in Buenos Aires.
News from the Field
- AgeNet International Conference in Kyrgyzstan, with Svetlana Bashtovenko. View
- London’s Conference on “The Future of Aging”, with Vera Mensinga, UK Liaison. View
- Australia’s Movement to Close the Digital Divide, with Nan Bosler & Moira Allan. View
- Singapore Visit with Dr. Leng Leng Thang. View
- Paris – Launching “The Emerging Spirit of Elderhood” published by Old Up, with
Marie-Francoise Fuchs & Moira Allan. View
- Older Person’s Self-Advocacy Handbook Launched in Brussels. View
- “Culture of Ageing” Conference in Moscow, Gulnara Minnigaleeva & Jan Hively
- “U3As Linking the World”, Third Age University Conference in Osaka
- Guidelines on How to Prepare for the Third Age launched as BALL Guide by Hans Gudmundson, Liaison from Iceland
- Wiser Together Harvest Report from Intergenerational World Café at 8th Positive Aging Conference in Washington DC
- Memory Training, interview with Dana Steinova from Prague
- INIA: Taking the Training to the People from the International Institute on Aging United Nations, based in Malta
- The FreeBird Club for Peer-to-Peer Social Travel and Home-Stays
- “Home, Sweet Home” alternatives for supporting Aging in Place from Dirk Jarre, EURAG
- Home Sharing a growing option with Silvernest and “Sharing Housing” examples
- Cape Cod model for an Intergenerational Model United Nations program
- 8th International Positive Aging Conference, Washington DC
- 6th eRegions Conference on the Silver Economy from Ana Kranjc, Liaison from Slovenia
- Initiating implementation of BALL guide from Iceland, Poland, Spain U3As
- Happy Aging and the Science of Epigenetics from Vsevolod Rozanov, Liaison from Ukraine
- Czech Republic (Dana Steinova) and India (Ilango Ponnuswami) Liaisons Work Together on Memory Training in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
- EURAG (European Federation for Aging Persons) Council Meeting in Bratislava
- Building a society where elders live fulfilled lives: CDVTA in Cameroon
- Pass It On activities planned for the 8th International Positive Aging Conference in D.C. Aug ‘16
- Plans for Peace Child International World Youth Congress June/July 2017 in Hawaii focused on rediscovering traditional practices of the elders (kupuna) and sustainable development.
- Training opportunities around the world offered in developing countries by International Institute on Ageing in Malta
- EURAG council hosted in Ljubljana by ZDUS, Slovenian umbrella organization of 503 local associations and clubs for retirees, from Moira Allan and Dirk Jarre
- IAUTA, International Association of Universities of the Third Age, held its 40th anniversary conference in Reims, France, from Moira Allan.
- “Stepping into a TV Career at age 75” from Agnes Mikkelsen, Western Canada Liaison.
- Ljubljana City Senior Centers; and Farm to Table demonstrations at a Water Week celebration. Showcase from Moira Allan.
- 10th anniversary conference of ACAP, the Active Aging Consortium of Asia Pacific, in Fukuoka, Japan, from Moira Allan.
- Invitation to 8th International Positive Aging Conference (PAC) in Washington DC, with the story of Pass It On Network’s origins in the 1st PAC
- Skype session for Jan Hively and Moira Allan with the Senior Citizens Solidarity Foundation leaders in Mauritius, hosted by Armoogum Parsuramen.
- “Planning!” Conversation with Janice Blanchard from Denver about Care for those who are Aging-in-Community when they need help with daily living.
- Report on “What’s Next for the Encore Movement” from Jan Hively at the Encore Summit.
- Review of Ashton Applewhite’s book, “This Chair Rocks: Manifesto Against Ageism.”
- The Institute of Active Ageing (IAA) has pooled resources from 23 disciplines within the Hong Kong Polytechnic University to design education programs and empowerment practice that promotes active ageing and enhances quality of life through lifelong learning, voluntary work, and encore careers.
- Lynda Smith, Liaison from South Africa, describes her winning idea for an online exchange where anyone over 50 can market skills, qualifications, and time — for income through contracts with business or government, or for donation to the social sector.
- As described by Kathie NeuOrgen, Liaison from Eastern Canada, the Senior’s Expo Society has organized a vibrant 50+ Expo annually since 1990 . Now mini Expo’s throughout Nova Scotia are promoting age-friendly environments, practices, and social opportunities.
- Silvia Crom, a psychologist and Pass It On’s Liaison from Argentina, has started a group to talk about the abusive behavior of adult children toward their parents because she had received prolific responses to a blog that she had written on that topic.
- Galina Poliakova reports how elder volunteers, 99% of them women, are providing support for their sons and grandsons and the Ukrainian Army caught up in war, and advocacy for other elders in need through their charitable organization.
- Age Action Ireland and Active Retirement Ireland are working together on a campaign to support only those political candidates who pledge support for a pension increase and a new ministry for over-65s.
Knowledge and Tools for Positive Aging Advocacy
- “Older Persons’ Self-Advocacy Handbook.” Online toolkit AGE Platform Europe. View
- “The Power of Purposeful Aging: Purpose +” from the Milken Institute. View
- “Best before Date” media campaign from Canada to combat Ageism. Video
- “Take a Stand against Ageism” with Ashton Applewhite at the U.N. Video
- New website for AGE Platform Europe
- New “International Journal on Ageing in Developing Countries”, from the International Institute on Ageing (UN – Malta) Link to subscribe.
- Strategy to achieve global sustainability, from Astronaut Edgar Mitchell. Video.
- “Who me, ageist?” Downloadable guide by Ashton Applewhite for starting a consciousness-raising group
- “Towards an Age-Friendly European Union: Advocacy Toolkit for Older People and their Organizations.” This is a capacity-building toolkit for promoting a more positive vision of ageing and of older people, wherever you might be.
- TED Talk with Hilary Cottam: “Social Services are broken. How can we fix them?” (Relationships are the key.). Video
- Loneliness: 25 studies show link to heart attacks/strokes, from Next Avenue. Article
- Coaching available from creators Helen Dennis and Bernice Bratter for start-ups of Project Renewment, involving guided discussion for small (8 – 10) groups during retirement transitions to develop friendship and inspire one another.
- Alternatives for living in community in later life: CareBanks and the Turquoise House Collaborative from Janice Blanchard. Article.
Work & Security
- Encore’s New Campaign – Generation to Generation (Gen2Gen) connects olders as mentors for youth. Video. View
- “Intergenerational Companies are Stronger.” Challenging Ageism in the Workplace. Article. View
- Boomers Leading Change in Health with Barbara Raynor in Denver. Web link.
- CARE initiative to share best practices and improve quality of eldercare in EU, from Michael Hodin and Global Coalition on Aging. Web link.
- “Encore Talent Works” Toolkit, the digital guide to recruiting and hiring experienced talent. Web link.
- “Guide to Managing a Volunteer Workforce”, from the Encore Boston Network. Article.
- China to Improve Education Service for Elders. Article. View
- How Virtual Reality Can Boost Retirement Savings. Article. View
- NOV 2016 – “Be Active through Lifelong Learning”: BALL Guide for Third Age planning. E-book.
- Philip Crouch, Liaison from Tasmania, has created Soul Work Pathways, connecting all ages to spiritual awareness pathways. Website.